Sunday, October 5, 2008

General Conference Tradition

For many years we made Monkey Bread in between sessions of General Conference and ate it during the afternoon session. It's such an easy recipe that even the little ones could do the whole thing by themselves and the result is always gooey deliciousness. My recipe calls for Pillsbury Grands refrigerated biscuits, but back a couple of years ago, Pillsbury defiled their biscuits by adding TBHQ, a petroleum based preservative that we don't eat. Alas, several conferences came and went without Monkey Bread.
I know I could have made a home made dough, but I just didn't.
So last night, I remembered I had some Rhodes frozen bread dough in the freezer. I pulled some out to thaw and voila! A tradition is reinstated.
****************************************
General Conference Monkey Bread

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup sugar

1/3 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)

1Tbl cinnamon

3 cans buttermilk biscuits, or 2 cans Grands, or 3 loaves Rhodes frozen bread dough-thawed

Non stick or sprayed bundt pan.

Melt 1/2 cup butter in bowl (I used a whole stick and it made an awesome sauce!)

In small bowl mix sugars, cinnamon, and nuts.

Open cans of biscuits and separate. Cut into fourths and roll each section into a ball.

Drop each ball into melted butter, then roll in the sugar mixture to coat.

Place evenly into bundt pan, layering the balls of dough on top of each other.

Edit to add: When using bread dough, you might want to let the dough rise some at this point, so the balls sort of stick together and "become one". That way it will be more of a pull apart loaf rather than the individual balls that mine turned out to be.

Sprinkle remaining sugar and butter over the top and bake for 30-35 minutes. Let cool for a minute or two, then turn onto a plate and remove pan.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

I love all new posts! Airshow, beach, zoo, musuems, crafts, yummy food... the Palmer's know how to have fun. Beautiful photography, babe!

Shonda said...

Thank you, thank you! Some of us think that monkey bread looks like a plate of meatballs....

rocknbrocks said...

Shonda, those look so goooey and yummy! That is what I miss most on the GF diet. I have crohns,but they also suggested trying the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, which is WAY WORSE than the GF diet, it you can believe that. (no grains at all..not even potatoes)