Sunday, October 26, 2008

Defending Traditional Marriage

There have been a flurry of blog posts in my little world of friends and family on why they are choosing to vote Yes on Proposition 8 in California on Nov. 4.
I think I'll join them.
The #1 reason I am voting yes on Prop 8 is because I believe in overcoming judicial tyranny. In March 2000, 61% of California voters said Yes to marriage between a man and a woman. Eight years later, four judges reversed the will of the people. That is wrong.
It is so ironic that those that make the claim that supporters of Yes on 8 are "intolerant" "hateful" and "suppressing their rights". I have now seen intolerance by those screaming at my family on the street corner that we are brainwashing our children and then calling the police on his cell phone to "report" us. I have now heard hate speech as my husband was verbally assaulted with profanity while standing peacefully with his 6 year old daughter and 9 year old son. My freedom of speech has been suppressed as countless Yes on 8 signs have been stolen off of private property in my community. Or defaced. Or shredded and left there in a pile of rubbish. Intolerance, indeed.
I urge all Californians who value their freedoms, to take a stand and vote Yes on Prop 8. As we know, as California goes, so goes the rest of the nation.
Some additional posts on this issue worth a read: Here, here, here, and here.

4 comments:

Ronette said...

Shonda,

I can't tell you how many groups of teenagers I've seen standing on the street corners demonstrating with their "Stop the Hate-No on 8" signs. Makes me so sad.

Praying for the election.

Ronette

Kristen said...

Shonda, I couldn't agree with you more....and parental rights, religious freedom, school curriculum...

jane Cobber said...

Great post! I need to post soon about our sign waving parties! It was great to see your family there too. I guess we got mooned last Saturday, but my girls and I had just turned around to walk away. Love the way the opposion is so respectful and "tolerant" in how they express themselves to those of us who disagree with them.....

Shonda said...

Yup, Carol, L saw her first double BA. :p Another fun moment was when W was crossing the street(in the cross walk) and some lady agressively pulled forward and hit his legs with her car. So he blew her a kiss and that really ticked her off! Lol Don't these wackos realized they are making us even more firm in our resolution by their outrageous behavior???