Saturday, January 17, 2009

100 Species Challenge~ In the Backyard



4. Dandelion~
What I knew: It's a weed! The leaves are edible for a spring salad. They make nice crowns when strung together.
What I learned: The mature flower heads are known as "clocks". Dandelion is from the french name dente de lion or lion's tooth, referring to the shape of the leaves. Wikipedia also lists many other names, most quite rude!
5. Potato~
What I knew: What everybody else knows; they're good to eat.
What I learned: Everybody thinks they are hard to grow, but I just throw them in the dirt and they take off. I must have a magic potato thumb.
6. Guava~
What I knew: Nothing. I had to ask the gardener what the tree was. A branch hangs over our fence from our neighbor's yard. They look like they are puckering up to give me a kiss.
What I learned: Benito said they are ripe when they turn yellow (from green) and you eat it like an apple. It smelled better than it tasted so maybe it needs more time to fully ripen. Guavas are a superfood and full of antioxidants.

No comments: