Recently, I felt the time had come and started reading. I'm on book 6 and I do enjoy them. I don't think it's outstanding literature or anything, but I have had to get my red pencil out a few time and capture some good things to ponder.
L-14 followed on my heels and we are currently fighting over book 6. P-10 started reading the first book last week and he just shouted out,"Two more pages!" before he's done with book 3. He is just gobbling them up. C-12 read the first one last Thursday (in one day) and the second book didn't take much longer. He is waiting, patiently, for his chance at book 3, which should start here in a few minutes!
I am going to make P-10 wait a few years to continue on. We'll see how that goes. I'm not sure about C-12. When he read The Hobbit a couple of years ago he was pretty upset with some deaths of some favorite characters for a few days. L-14 was depressed for a week when she read the Lord of the Rings trilogy at 11.
It's hard to know what to do in these situations!

3 comments:
I just started reading the Percy Jackson series. I loved the Harry Potter books and Percy Jackson isn't as good but I can see where young kids would love them. Especially if they know their Greek mythology.
I have to say that I was really sad and shocked myself after HP book 6.
Well, L just finished book 6 and her exact words to me were, "Brace yourself." I have 80 pages to go.
My son gets upset easily, too. We haven't read any Harry Potters, yet, though we've seen a couple of the films with no substantial upset.
Post a Comment