Saturday, November 28, 2009

Over the River and Through the Woods

On the top of Cedar Mountain. Elevation about 10,0000 ft. This meadow had a sign to keep dogs on leash so they didn't chase grazing sheep.

Bunny tracks?





We headed to Great Grandpa's farm in central Utah for Thanksgiving this year. It's been a while since we've been, and at age 97, we thought now rather than later would be a good idea! We stayed the night in St. George and then traveled over Cedar Mountain in order to see some property that we (and the other brothers) inherited from their dad. It was a beautiful day and a beautiful drive! We stopped at a meadow on the mountain and the kids had some fun in the snow. It was the only snow of the trip.
The property is just a few miles form the back side of Bryce Canyon so there are a few views of the beautiful red rocks and hoodoos (incredible rock formations).

The main part of the property has a small hill that the town folk calls Aunt Mandy's hill. This is where Great Grandpa P. wanted to build a cabin, but apparently never set foot on the property after buying it from his cousin. (Apparently it changed hands between the cousins several times.)



While in "town" we stopped and visited with a second cousin whom we had never met. Cousin Orvil (77) told us to load the kids in the back of the pick up and he would take us on a tour of the town. He told us story after story of the ancestors that settled there and told us about life as a cowboy. His father and my kid's great grandfather used to herd cattle in the Grand Canyon. Apparently there is still a saddle left in a cave there. I will have to get the complete story of how it got there some time!




The town is just a few streets so the tour wasn't very long! The post office is actually Orvil's house. He also does the weather tracking for the area and has equipment and a log in his mud room. Oh, I forgot to mention he also served as mayor for a term! What a guy!




He showed us Great Grandpa P's saddle with his initials. He was a real cowboy! It was a neat afternoon and the kids really enjoyed it. Orvil has a passion for sharing family stories and telling the kids about their roots. I'm glad we took the time to stop by and meet him.




We arrived at Great Grandpa R's for Thanksgiving and had a great time. He is really slowing down, but is still amazing at his age. He is such an example for all of us! While we at Grandpa's one evening the news was on and mentioned that the space shuttle would be traveling across the sky as it prepared to land this week. P-10 told us we needed to go outside NOW so we did and there it was! We watched the space station and shuttle as they moved across the sky from horizon to horizon. I was so glad to be where we were because it would have been much too light (as in city lighting) to see them at home!






Heading back home we stayed in St. George again. Spur of the moment I took the kids to see the temple. We didn't know it but we arrived just in time for the Christmas lighting ceremony! We heard a good talk and a beautiful choir sing and had fun looking at the lights. It was a gorgeous sunset!
Happy Thanksgiving! We are blessed!

2 comments:

Greg said...

Thanks for the Alton update. I need to get by there. I think the last time I was out in the area and stopped was with CW, Dad and Alan in the late 60's. Seems like a long time ago.

Anne said...

Hi my friend! I miss you! I hope you had a merry Christmas. I see you haven't posted for awhile. What's up?
xoxo,
k