Saturday, December 20, 2008

A Little Too Much Martha...

We have been getting the Matha Stewert Holiday dvd series at Netflix for a couple of months. The kids love Martha, although L-13 commented, "She really likes to use fancy words, huh?" Apparently we have watched a little too much Martha. As I was downloading pictures this morning, there were a bunch of videos that I didn't know about. Most were goofy Christmas skits the kids have been doing, but then I noticed some interesting "cooking shows". My favorite line is something to the effect of, "See what happens when you want to save money and use family as your cameraman? Don't do this at home and don't hire him!"

Now for a side note: P-9 (the cooking show star) was diagnosed with Apraxia of Speech when he was 3 years old. We had him tested at the school district. His receptive language skills (which is his ability to comprehend language spoken to him) was 99%. That means for his age his receptive skills were above 99% of the kids in his age group. His expressive language skills (his ability to communicate verbally) were, I believe, under the 10th percentile. That means he was below 90% of the kids his age for speaking. The speech and language pathologist for the pre school program told me that he might never speak.

After 2 years of public and 3 years of private speech therapy, he is working on his final sound-the pesky "r" sound. He has worked so hard! I am so proud of his determination and perseverance. I'm so thankful for the therapists that helped him find his voice. He has so much to say.

No comments: