This is not a zoo, but a conservation center where you can learn about wolves and sneak a peek at two of their ambassador packs. Today the packs were having a bit of stress due to an earlier veterinary visit, so we couldn't get as close as we'd like. You don't want stressed out wolves, you know.
They were in two enclosures; one for the Alaskan Gray Wolf pack and one for the Mexican Wolf pack. We could see them pacing back and forth, running around and looking...wolfish. I think it's pretty incredible that at one time there were only 7 Mexican Wolves in the wild and thanks to the Mexican Wolf Recovery Program at this center, there are now 60!
We also had a nice lecture, Q and A time, saw pelts, skulls, radio tracking collars they use, etc. The tour guide was nice and informative and thought our children were brillant.
Afterwards, we enjoyed lunch with friends at a picnic spot in the quaint gold mining town of Julian. It was a great day!

3 comments:
I didn't even know that existed! That is so awesome! I will have to take my kids down there some time.
Thanks for organizing the field trip Shonda! It was a fun day and your post it great. I even put a link to it on my blog.
Thanks for a great day Shonda! We all had fun.
Post a Comment