I have a long post in my drafts on the whys and wherefores that I am working on, but in the meantime I need to get these recipes and menu ideas down so I don't forget. It also gives me motivation to keep it up.
The short story is: I have been sugar free/grain free and processed food free since late November. I am doing it for my own health and as a trial to see if it will help M-9's Crohn's Disease.
The last 2 weeks M-9 has been very sick. Sick enough that twice I thought we would be going back to the hospital. In the stress of everything, the last few days I blew my healthy eating. Not the smartest of moves. I am back on the wagon first thing Monday morning!
I lost 8-10 lbs in the process (depends on the day and the time) and felt better than I have in years.
I don't limit my quantities at all and eat lots of coconut oil, avocados and nuts (healthy fats). Now that I feel so much better I have been exercising but not intensely or consistently.
So what do I eat?
Breakfast:
Every morning I have an omelet. One of these variations:
2 egg omelet with raw cheddar cheese, sauteed spinach, creme fraiche
2 egg omelet with sauteed green peppers, onions and spinach, topped with salsa and avocado
Lunch:
If I have a smoothie I drink the whole thing over a few hours and that's all I have. I make a blender full so I think it is about 2 quarts. If I have a salad, I will have some snacks in between lunch and dinner.
Green Smoothie:
Blend 2 big handfuls spinach and
2 cups water
Add
handful collards
handful chard
1 or 2 large kale leaves
Blend
add 1 or 2 frozen bananas
1-2 cups frozen blueberries
1 apple cored
1/2 cup frozen mango
To make it nice and sweet add
2 chopped medjool dates
For a fresh taste add
1/8th sliced lemon peel and all
I have a heavy duty-will grind up cell phones if you let it-Blend tec blender. Not sure if a regular blender would make it smooth enough.
Salad:
romaine and other lettuce (arugula, spinach whatever)
chopped veggies: green pepper, carrots, tomato
always a sliced avocado
raw pepitos
cilantro dressing from Fresh n Easy (no sugar in the ingredients) or
homemade dressing:
whisk apple cider vinegar, olive oil and flax oil and
dijon mustard (I just guess on the amounts..)
Snacks:
homemade yogurt (flavored with honey or maple syrup and vanilla) topped with berries
sweet potato sticks
carrot sticks
seasonal fruit
Lara Bars
Nuts- sometimes soaked and sometimes not
Homemade Gelatin ~apple cider or grape
Dinner:Just Soup or
A Big Salad with one of the following:
Roasted chicken and carrots
Zucchini with marinara and cheese
Roasted potatoes (sparingly)
Mashed sweet potatoes with coconut oil
Eggplant Parmesan
Grass Fed Beef Meatballs and marinara
Spaghetti Squash and marinara
Coconut Flour Pancakes on those days I need comfort food for dinner
Treats:
*Hot Chocolate made with Coconut milk (I like Coconut Dream brand the best. It is unsweetened but it is enriched. Some day I will make my own, but I'm not there yet.)
1 1/2 tbl unsweetened cocoa, 1 1/2 tbl maple syrup, mugful of coconut milk.
*Pumpkin bread, Almond coconut cookies (see Grain Free recipe post)
*Trader Joe's 85% dark chocolate bar. (Occasionally, just a small square. It's all it takes.)
Drinks:
*Water. Really trying. When I focus it is between 40-50 oz. If I don't focus it is about 8 oz. so I really have been trying.
*Herbal tea with honey
Mid-April bloom diary
1 year ago

No comments:
Post a Comment