Sunday, November 6, 2011

Sick Daze Wrap Up~ Last Week of October & First Week of November

For almost two weeks the majority of the people in this house were sick. Like I said before, there is no behind, but the flip side to that is, there are no sick days. So coughing, sneezing kids can read good books and watch Shakespeare movies and it counts as school to me. The big kids were all well enough to attend their commonwealth school classes and they all wrote lots of papers and worked on what they needed to do. They also watched as many Dick Van Dyke shows as they could before Netflix stopped streaming them on Nov. 1. Do sitcoms from the 1960's count as cultural literacy? Also during this time I made several pots of chicken stock as I try to master the art of soup making. When I get it right, I'll post a recipe. The keepers in the recipe are cilantro, ginger root and lemon zest.

The day before getting sick, M-9 took her last dose of Prednisone which was worth celebrating! Unfortunately, getting sick with the upper respiratory virus triggered a flare of her IBD. Of course these types of things always happen on a week-end (why is that??) and I wasn't sure which doctor to call (that's what happens when you have a "team", I guess) and we were all anxious to *not* go to the hospital again. Lots of phone calls, lab work and an in office visit and the flare resolved in 7 days! We are all so relieved and M-9 is back on food instead of liquids only. After getting over her bad cold she was able to go to her weekly homeschool class, Country Club, which is a fun geography activity day with her friends for the first time of this school year. They learned to do the Samba and made a pan pipe out of straws and duct tape. Fun stuff!

Some more of M-9's reading~ She started reading the little My Little House Chapter Books~The Caroline Years which are excerpts from the longer versions. They are nice for kids that are just starting out reading chapter books. Since M-9 is way beyond that, she read them to see if she would like the series, which she decided she loves and has been devouring the longer chapter books. We are long time Little House on the Prairie fans and have also long enjoyed the books (not by Laura Ingalls Wilder) about Laura's mother, grandmother, great grandmother and great, great grandmother! Oh, there is also a series called the Rose years about Laura and Almonzo's daughter. The Martha Years (Laura's great, great grandmother) is written by a homeschooling mother in San Diego that I have e-mailed with a couple of times but have never met. I would love to organize an event where she can come and speak to youth about writing and to mom's about inspiring writing. Her blog is Here in the Bonny Glen on my blog roll. :)

No comments: