Friday, April 23, 2010

A Bunny Tale

This little bunny was in the wrong place at the wrong time. C-12 noticed our dog in the backyard "playing" with something and throwing it around. It was C-12 to the rescue!

After getting the bunny safely inside, the kids gave it a bath (I know...) and put it in the butterfly enclosure. (Oh, that poor bunny...) I had just taken L-14 to her carpool drop off point when this all happened and C-12 was in charge for a few minutes. When I got back, I was brought up to speed and we googled "wild baby rabbit care". We wrapped it up in a dish towel and I held it on my lap for about an hour.

Then we put it in a box. After awhile, it started to perk up!

Bunny tried to hop out of the box, so I put it on the couch.

We decided it would really be better for it to be outside, so out it went. We took beach chairs, nature notebooks and colored pencils (How serendipitous!) and made a keepsake of our wild morning.

Everyone said good-bye.

And wished the bunny well.

And he hopped away.
The End

5 comments:

Greg said...

Two words - tularemia and plague. Do not play with wild animals. It was emphasized in the Wilderness First Aid course I just took. Leave the wild animals alone.

Shonda said...

Oh Greg! You are such a Boy Scout!! LOL I never thought of rabbits having the plague, just squirrels.

Greg said...

From the Center for Disease Control

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/plague/info.htm

"Other less frequent sources of infection include wild rabbits"

You are better off shooting rabbits than playing with them.

Laurie said...

Oh my!! I was going to post about how adorable that bunny is-- my boys did the same thing with a wild bunny they caught. They have been known to catch all sorts of wild life (and put it back) when given the opportunity. I think after I look at the CDC web site, I'll never be able to let them again. :( Still, that was a sweet moment for your kids.

Sara said...

Oh, what a precious little bunny! Your kids did well to save it... though the bath part did give me a chuckle. I'm glad the story had a happy ending!