Saturday, March 7, 2009

Revolutionary War Re-enactment

We spent Friday in colonial Virginia! We had a great time going to Riley's Farm to learn about and experience life in the Revolutionary War era.



The re-enactors were great about staying in character and speaking in English accents. We went through eight different stations learning about life in the colonies, playing games and being harassed by the Red Coats. We had a soldier's ration for lunch: corn bread, beef jerky, a slice of cheddar cheese and lemonade. Not much! It's a good thing we brought extra food.



P-9 being accused of bribery during a mock trial. I had to buy him that hooded sweatshirt while we were there because his ears were so cold. It was probably in the 40's with the wind chill.



The grand finale was a battle on the green.


Mr. Riley has such a passion for teaching children the history of our country and how we fought for our freedom. He truly has a mission to share the stories of those that lost their lives for us and inspire us to not take that freedom for granted. He moved me to tears at the end of the day as he implored the hundreds of children there to remember the price that was paid for each of them.
It was a great day and thank you to Amy for arranging it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shonda!!! You were in VA?!!! How did I miss that?! Looks like a fun trip. We love going to reenactments! I'm glad y'all had fun. If your trip is swinging south to NC, I'd love to see y'all!

Shonda said...

Oh no! Just pretend Virginia. ;) We were still in California.
Leslie, what in the world are you doing up??? Go to bed, girl! :)

Marianne said...

I went there for KOL last semester. It was fun! That's cool you guys got to go there too. It makes you realize how much different things are from how they used to be.

Kristen said...

Shonda! I just got caught up on your blog. I love the entry about The Giant, and of course any mention about me. :) Some years I show my students and use it to inspire a story. You are becoming quite the photographer. I love you. Lots.