Thursday, May 1, 2008

May Day Flowers





If you mysteriously received some flowers on your doorstep this May Day, STOP reading right now!
Today the kids could be spotted running around the neighborhood, stealthily depositing small bouquets of roses on our neighbor's doors. It's such a sweet tradition that we enjoy! This year we used empty Capri Sun juice bags as our containers, hole punched with yarn looped as a handle. M-6 wanted to stick with her traditional paper cone, so she worked on that all by herself.
I have several rosebushes in the front as well as backyard. I basically do nothing to them and it shows. Poor things are pretty neglected. But, I'm raising kids, not flowers, so I really can't be bothered! This is the first year that I have used something other than organic means to try to save them from pests and disease. I wasn't crazy about the idea, but they are either eaten up or covered in rust or powdery mildew by early summer when they should be beautiful. I love flowers and gardens, but it just isn't my season to spend a lot of time tending them.
We hope your May Day was fragrant!

1 comment:

Melanie said...

We had a fun May Day too! When I mention it, some people look at me like I'm crazy. I'm so glad to see we're not the only ones celebrating!