Friday, May 23, 2008

How We Read a Book and Our First Colloquium

It was a rainy May day and we didn't have any places we had to be or things we had to do! My voice came back after an annoying cough so I was finally able to get back to reading aloud. Although we finished reading The Secret Garden more than a week ago, we didn't have our book discussion until today. I thought I would write a little about it as this is a little new to me and wanted to share how successful it was.

When we read a chapter book, all the kids gather to the living room couches or floor. Most of the time they just sit and listen to me, but sometimes the boys will build with K-Nex or M-6 will color. Occasionally, someone will have a snack at the dining table adjacent to the living room. The only thing I insist on, and I'm a stickler about it, is QUIET and minimal getting up and down. I'm easily distracted so this is my #1 rule.

I usually read at least 2 chapters and sometimes as many as 4 depending on the length. We can count on an average of 45 mins. of reading time a day per book. It's the first thing we do to start our "school time" routine. (I use this term very loosely as it is my philosophy that there is no time frame for our learning; it happens every waking moment.)

Before each reading session, I ask, "Where are we?" This is where they each have a chance (if they wish) to "narrate" what happened in the story the previous day. (Charlotte Mason method) I prefer to do this after "a nights sleep" (a la Waldorf) rather than immediately after a reading as it feels more natural and less contrived. The kids are usually anxious to one up each other in their knowledge and remembrance of the story, so by the time they are finished we have heard a pretty rich and detailed retelling of the previous chapters.

Usually the kids incorporate some element of the story into their play, be it dressing up and acting out a particular time period, or building something with construction toys/blocks etc. Sometimes I suggest an art project or the like, and often something in the book will spark an interest in another subject and we'll be off on a rabbit trail of learning. But generally speaking, when we're finished with a book, we're finished. On to the next.

I knew I wanted to discuss these classic books with my children, but quite honestly, I was at somewhat of a loss as to how. Sounds so silly. I talk to my kids all of the time and we do talk about books, but more of a "what happened/narration" style than a "how it made me feel/why I liked/disliked it" style.

I was reading a book on Thomas Jefferson Education (also known as Leadership Education) and came upon a list of discussion questions for classic books. This inspired me to come up with some of my own for The Secret Garden. Some of my questions were:
  • Did you like it?
  • Why do you think Mary was such a sour girl?
  • How did she change/what changed her at Misselthwaite?
  • Why did Colin think he was an invalid?
  • What kind of boy was Dickon?
  • What did you think of the "magic" in the book? What do you think it is?
  • Did the story make you think of yourself?
  • Did it make you want to learn about anything?
  • Did you like the ending?
  • Did you notice the end didn't mention Mary at all? Why?
  • If Mary hadn't moved to Misselthwaite, what would have happened to Colin? To Mary?
We had a very nice exchange of ideas and feelings. I was able to share my thoughts and listened to their opinions of things. It was delightful!
So, I think we're on to another stage in our family education! It's exciting!

5 comments:

Melanie said...

I love your colloquium questions Shonda! How did you approach this with your kids? Did you just weave your questions into the discussion or did you start more formally and explain that you were planning a colloquium?

Jenny said...

I love your idea to have the kids narrate before reading (to catch up on where you are in the book). It sounds like you had a great discussion with your kids. I love to hear my kids' insights on the books we read. They are always amazing.

Shonda said...

Melanie, I did it more formally. It was different for this off the cuff gal, but it worked! I just told them that I had thought of some questions I wanted to discuss and we went through them. Of course, one question would go off in 10 different directions which is just what I hoped. I was worried that it would feel forced, but it didn't it.

rocknbrocks said...

Wow Shonda! I'd hate for you to see how WE read as a family!! You'd be so disappointed!
I want to learn more about the Milly Molly books for my 7 yr old.
What level are the Magic School Bus books? My kids have seen that show.
I remember reading the Boxcar childen and loved those stories, Do they still exist? For what ages?
I love your ideas! Thanks for sharing.

rocknbrocks said...

I love the Secret Garden. My Mom used to read that to me and I have always loved reading it. What is a good book that we should start with? Also, do you get your books from the library or buy them, if so where? We always start books, but rarely finish them........