
L-12 was taking care of a neighbor friend's garden while they were on a cruise last week when she brought home these 2 little critters. She created a "
snailery" for them per the guidelines in
The Handbook of Nature Studies. It included dirt, moss, and a couple of seashells with water to quench their thirst. They gobble up those slices of apple really quickly and slime their living room up pretty good. Have you ever watched a snail eat? L-12 spent copious amounts of time observing these little guys. All 12 year old girls do that, right?

Yesterday I was poking around in the backyard and dug up some potatoes! Whenever we don't finish a bag of Costco potatoes, we throw the sprouting remains into the "garden". If you do that often enough, before you know it you have a potato patch! I boiled them and then sauteed them in butter with some salt and marjoram. Nothing beats the flavor of a home grown spud! (Don't worry, we didn't have escargot with the potatoes. I'm just having major connectivity issues and had to combine these pictures into one post.)
6 comments:
That is great! We've never made a "snailery" before. Good idea with the potatoes too. I really want to get my garden going.
You grown your own potatoes? Oh my...who are you? My little Shonda has become an amazing person.
Oh, Chrissy~ If you were to see this so called "garden" you would be decidedly UNimpressed! LOL! It really just aspires to one day, maybe, be something other than a dirt patch that happens to have some potatoes in it. ;)
Shonda, did they really grow on their own? I always throw our watermelon rinds and seeds out back, hoping that a "watermelon garden" will appear, but its never happened. Glad you had such good luck!
Jaime! Yup, they just grew! I promise we didn't do a thing to them. I don't think they even get any water back there. I have had a few other volunteers; namely pumpkins from jack a lantern carving. I guess we just live in a fertile spot because it certainly isn't anything I do!
so how did you know the potatoes were there? I have never seem them grow? guess I'm a city girl living here in NC country!
Post a Comment